Sunday, December 04, 2005

my struggle for an education

This is the story of a 20 smthn boy, who was so poor that he cud not afford to buy books for himself ( well actually he spent all the money in his book fund on infinite no. of shawarmas ) . so he wud go to his friend , the surd-man’s place on the eve of each exam to import some unnecessary information that he will never use , but tat cud get him thru some really horrible exam things of a university I cant mention the name of cuz of the threat of being charged for defamation .
following is a narration of his courageous attempt , walking 147 meters through ankle deep waters , to the above mentioned pal’s place .
this is his struggle for an education :


--

it was a dark saturday morning . 48 hrs to go for the exam . the impending cyclone was well ... impending ! I looked around . and all I saw were bodies . dead mangled bodies . of mosquitoes and flies that I had been squatting for the past half an hour , having got nothing better to do . and that’s when I decided . I had to go . I had to go to the surd-man’s place . a place where I cud give myself the right to education (thru books bought by him) , cuz i knew i was born to accomplish great things in life , and unlike in other countries where college dropouts could go abt creating business empires and becoming billionaires before they turned 30 , in my country one has to pass thru these meaningless exam things to get somewhere . of course the thing that triggered me to go was the boredom , and the monotony of killing witless flying creatures already dazzling under the effect of good-knight . the only hurdle on the path , other than laziness , was the water logging around the house cuz of the not-so-heavy raining the night before coupled with the geography of my house that was situtated in a local minima of the global maxima .

but I was not one who wud change plans cuz of a couple of zillion-billion hydrogen and oxygen molecules bonded together ! .... hawt women , maybe , infact most definitely , but no , not water .

so I wore the wade-thru-water gear : an old half trouser that exposed my calves and hamstring muscles , a one dollar tee I got from goa and rubber slippers three sizes short .
also packed my rucksack wit all the accessories I mite need on the journey. a torch , a swiss knife , a self-inflating raft and a sandwich incase I lose my way or drowned and found myself marooned on some island .

all set , I left the house . now , u know how you feel when you say goodbye to an aging relative , and have this thing going in ur head saying , ' it mite be the last time ' !! well it was not that intense , but ya pretty much .
So I said goodbye and left.
i was a man on a mission .

i entered the pool of water , relying only on the sense of touch to navigate myself through the submerged road . and it was a good feeling . wading through the water , on a dark Saturday morning , exposing ur hamstring muscles , and moving with a mission .
So I walked for around 29 seconds and got to the part of the road that was not visible from my balcony , earlier when i was surveying the milieu .
now u know how ... ok i realise i've been saying too many of this "u know how" business , i promise this wud be the last ... ya , so u know how they show in the movies , as far as your sight goes everyting in fine , and then you move a lil bit and emerging bfrom the horizon are huge dinos or a big army or gigantic buildings etc etc etc .
now what i saw was the exact 100 % opposite of that . in my head i had picturised a lonely dark city submerged in water with dead animal carcasses floating about . but here i cud see a fully functional city , with buses overflowing wit ppl as usual , people fighting-slash-bargaining wit auto drivers , women clad in sarees sweeping the hardly wet road , and of course birds not chirping the way they usually dont !!

disappointed and awed , i boarded one of the overcrowded buses and got down 149 metres from the surd-man's place . bein clad in shorts , a faded tee tat read 'i li_e i_ in g_a ' and pink coloured slippers that covered only 1/3 rd my feet , dint really make me feel very comfortable .
a walked for 2 meters and ....

----

u will see more of this courageous blighter's struggle in future posts . however i asure u tat no one dies , accept a really old man who has not much to do wit this story anyways .
bye dor now .

4 Comments:

Blogger Radha said...

hehe.mayb u can go into script writin!!
and, btw.. u keep talkin bout dem.."shawarmas".i know its smthg to eat but have never tasted it.. so wat is it??

Sun Dec 04, 07:35:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cant wait to hear more bout ur adventurous trip across the 'seven seas'!!;)N ya...The 'it might be the last time' analogy was too good!
ps:jus wondered....how the @#$* do u go into script writing??!!
-u know who!!

Sun Dec 04, 12:07:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Harini said...

1. Why do u need a torch in the saturday "morning" ???

2.Did u return the book ???
Anyways u dont need it for another 10 or so days.

Mon Dec 05, 06:19:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Radha said...

ok. i have this habit of chkin bck & replyin to comments. and since scoffes aint doin tat im takin over. too hard to resist. ;-)

firstly, script writin cos DUH.. most of scoffes blogs seem like they r u know.. scripts..!! its quite obvious, dont u think so?. look closer.and who are u mr/miss anon? im quite curious.

and harini.. its a "dark" sat morn!!

Mon Dec 05, 10:01:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home